September 20, 2014

Forgotten Prayers

                                         
















Sometimes we need just a little answered prayer.

Sometimes we pray and pray and pray and feel as if the Lord is simply not saying anything at all.

I feel like that sometimes.

I pray for one thing over and over. I know He knows the desires of my heart and that He has all  the power to answer that prayer. But He doesn't.

And that's okay. He is God and He knows best but sometimes, all the time, this sinful heart of mine feels disappointed.

It is in the midst of such disappointments that the Lord reveals to me a little more of Himself.

Russell and I recently returned from our survey trip to the country of Norway. Every mountain and fjord there point to the awesomeness of our Creator. I was looking forward to the possibility of seeing the Aurora Borealis and was a bit saddened to learn upon our arrival that the Northern Lights were out of season. With a shrug I whispered a quick prayer that the Lord might still allow us to see them. I then forgot about that prayer and focused on our trip.

Weeks later, north of the Arctic Circle, my husband came running down the hill in a frantic, arm-waving, yelling fit. I ignored him, of course, until he threw open the RV door and shouted for me to get outside. Barefoot and without a jacket I tumbled out of the trailer and tears filled my eyes as we looked up to see ribbons of green dancing across the twilight sky.

Wow.

What an overwhelming peace and calm assurance of the reality of my God. It was as if He was saying to me, "I'm here. I hear your prayers. I still answer them and I do care."

He heard a quiet, forgotten prayer and saw fit to answer it. There is nothing better than the reassurance that He's listening.

My "big" prayers may continue to go unanswered and I will likely still struggle with that now and again but I will keep this Northern Lights reminder close to my heart. I hope I will never forget, even in the middle of the trials and storms, how He answered.

We serve such an amazing God. It is so foolish of us to ever doubt His love and care for those He has so readily called His own. The beauty and awesomeness of the Aurora Borealis only reflect the wondrous greatness of the Maker.

" That ye...May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. Now unto Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen." - Ephensians 3:19-21

Keep praying, my friends!




{img via google}

No comments:

Post a Comment