May 12, 2012

Lessons

Three years have slipped through my fingers like sand.

As I stepped out of graduation practice, the reality of all this change hit me like a brick wall.

The homework, tests, study groups, drama, and pointless trips to Walmart are all over and I am wondering where the time went. Many things through school have molded and changed me into who I am. As a college graduate, I have nothing more to share than the lessons I've learned. Not only do I know about the minor prophets, the 70 weeks of Daniel, and what plenary verbal inspiration means, but more importantly, I've learned much about myself, about God, about life.


1. You do not know it all.

Reality check. Just because you have grown up in Sunday School, carried a 4.0 in college for four semesters, and can rattle off witty answers to just about anything means nothing. Don't ever lose a teachable spirit! The moment you think you've got it...you've lost it.

"For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself."
- Galatians 6:3


2. Keep your mouth shut.

One of the hardest things to do is to listen. Oh, we hear things all the time but listening? Listening requires effort and care and that's sometimes just too much to ask for, right? How much more I could have learned if I'd only listened instead of formulating a response! Brain must always engage in listening and then discern the proper response before the mouth ever begins to open.

"Seest thou a man that is hasty in his words? there is more hope of a fool than of him."
- Proverbs 29:20


3. Words make or break a person.

I've come to discover that what is said influences people in a powerful way. What I may say to or about a person should not be flippantly tossed around. Words effect people greatly.  If what I say in encouragement can bring a person to succeed, Or what is said in disdain can cause them to stumble, how careful I must be about guarding my mouth! The Bible tells us that death and life are in the power of the tongue...and I must be wary and prayerful about how I use it.

"Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!" - James 3:5


4. What people think about you IS important.

This is one of those pet peeves of mine. "I just don't care what they think about me." Oh, but you should! Two words: reputation and testimony. Testimony is what I am to always uphold, it is the mark of who I am. My reputation is the record of how well that has been done. To all those young people who seem to believe that you are free to whatever you want because you don't care what people think, remember you can never never shake a reputation. What you do, even in those seemingly pointless moments of life, may follow you all your days. Guard your name and what is associated with it!

"A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold." - Proverbs 22:1

5. God knows what He's doing.

So often I try to handle things myself. As the effort to take the world on my shoulders becomes too much, there is the reminder that there is a God who knows better. He has it all under control. Every weave and thread of life is connected to the hand of the Omnipotent. Why borrow trouble from tomorrow with worries and cares? He asks only for us to cast all our care upon Him. Why? Because He cares for you.

"Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of His understanding."
- Isaiah 40:28






"The best education is education in the best things." - C.H. Spurgeon

No comments:

Post a Comment