April 17, 2012

This Peace


       {photo via pinterest}

PEACE
, n. [L. pax, paco, to appease.] Freedom from agitation or disturbance by the passions, as from fear, terror, anger, anxiety or the like; quietness of mind; tranquility; calmness; quiet of conscience.

The loss of peace is not someone else’s fault.

Peace that is easy come, easy go, has its root in the wrong place.

The kind of peace that lasts beyond a single momentary quiet time is not fickle. It does not get its feathers ruffled with frustrations of the day. Stress does not overwhelm to the point of hindering its work. Bitterness and annoyances do not burrow deep when this peace has its way.

Now, I do not claim to have attained this. In fact, far from it! Often, some person will do something or say something and it will instantly make me upset! Even something as simple as a flippant comment or look will put me on the defensive and I allow it to stew inside for far too long. Here lies the problem, that robbing of peace occurs because of me. It is no one’s fault but my own, or your own, when that inside calm is stripped away.

This peace calmed the storm on the sea, it sustained the martyrs of history, it is mentioned time and again in the letters of the Apostles. This peace is only given through the God of peace. It is not caused by something outside, but rather, by Someone inside.

  “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” – John 14:27

Amy Carmichael said this, “If monotony tries me, and I cannot stand drudgery: if stupid people fret me and little ruffles set me on edge; if I make much of the trifles of life, then I know nothing of Calvary love.”

Did you catch that? Miss Carmichael went as far as to say that when we allow the dramatic to take hold, we do not understand the love that sent Christ to the cross. How silly it is when we allow the small things of this life to whisk away lasting, sustaining rest! After all, doesn’t God’s word assure that “Great peace have they which love Thy law: and nothing shall offend them?” The book of Isaiah also promises, “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee.”

Love His Word and keep your mind steadied on Him and the result will be that quiet, restful spirit that can confidently sing amidst the fires of this world, “When peace like a river attendeth my way, when sorrows like sea billows roll, whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, it is well, it is well with my soul!”

Yep, I want that.


             



"God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there."   -  C. S. Lewis




No comments:

Post a Comment