August 15, 2011

On My Side

"If it has not been the LORD who was on our side..."

Where would I be without an ever-faithful God? Every inch of the life I've always known, so filled with His goodness, His protection, comfort, and guidance, would be very, very different. At times, the thought of how completely and totally undeserving I am is overwhelming. After recently returning from a trip to Honduras and seeing the hardship, heart-ache, and joy in their lives, I am completely humbled. The blessings of God are so prevalent in my life and yet I turn my sights inward and focus on what I do not possess or who I want to be. Selfishness is the only word to describe it.

Without the Lord, I would be nothing! My cry would be as Israel's, "The waters overwhelmed us, the stream had gone over our soul!" Desolation would be my habitation. My home would be nestled in the pits of sorrow, despair, and wickedness. So oblivious I am to this at times! So easy it is to forget how far the Lord has brought me and how much further He alone is capable of taking me. To think what if He did not love me as He does, if He did not take my hand to prevent a stumble or stand in between me and the enemy?

Yet, God, who in the provision of His love, calls out, "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee...For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, thoughts of peace, and not of evil." Even before the foundations of the world God was piecing together the threads of my life, my plan, my ability to serve Him. His purpose and His goal is never to see us in a dark place. Every thought the Saviour has towards me is there to give an "expected end." In response to such overwhelming grace and love, I can only give back a heart that is willing to let Him have His way. He is on my side, so I will not fear!

God is so faithful to continuously remind, "Beth, remember that My way is perfect. Just be willing and I will show you the path of life and the fulness of joy!" 

May I again fall on knees scuffed from my own feeble attempts and consistently cry out to Him with a "Teach me to do Thy will! For Thou art my God: Thy spirit is good! Bring my soul out of trouble...for I am Thy servant." - Psalm 143

Beth



No comments:

Post a Comment