July 8, 2011

Dear Friend

As I sat there, trying desperately to console a friend who's even fresher heart-break reflected my own freshly broken heart, I found myself with little to say that could redeem the male race. Initially, my anger was toward any and all things male and spouted off the old female adages laced with bitterness, such as: "Who needs them." and "All guys are jerks." Better yet, I was about to warn her not to put her heart on the line so easily, to protect herself against a next time. But my words soured and I knew that such a thing simply was not possible. As women, we were created by God to be emotional creatures. Our make-up (the inside kind) makes it nigh impossible to separate those emotions from our decision-making, our hopes, and our dreams. As a dear friend reminded me, that's what makes true, Godly, femininity so very beautiful!

What are we to do then? Float through life hoping to stumble across another floater who might not hurt us? Certainly not. People disappoint, that's something unavoidable. But if God is our focus and we are whole-heartedly seeking to serve Him above even our emotions, hopes, and dreams, He will work everything out just how it is supposed to be, guiding our steps and gently leading us down the pathways of His will. Now, there may be a "valley of the shadow of death" along the way, but the beauty of the 23rd Psalm is that, along the way, there are also places beside the still waters.

So sweet friend, don't fret. Through my own recent experience God has shown me so very many things. This isn't a "to-do" list for getting over a relationship or for taping together shattered hearts, but rather, some promises that God has given to bring comfort to me during this time, and hopefully to you as well.

1. We aren't promised tomorrow, but God knows what is in the "tomorrows" we do have.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."  ♥  Isaiah 55:8

2. If we truly, truly give our heart-break to Him, He WILL heal it. It doesn't make it easier, it doesn't make it all okay or right. But God will make all things beautiful in His time and tears that still trust Him become something precious in His sight.

 "He hath made every thing beautiful in His time: also He hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can    find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end." ♥  Ecc. 3:1

3. Remember, it doesn't really matter what "status" we are, where we are in life, or who we are at all. All that matters is that we are HIS. Beyond that, everything else will fall into place.

" Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine." ♥ Isaiah 43:1

4. Be honest with others and with yourself.  This is a hard one, but the fact is with situations like these can either be filled with lies, false expectations, and disappointments that drag on, or with the painful truth that enables moving on.

"But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.
For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work." ♥ James 3:14,16


5. Rely on friends who will encourage you in the LORD and not fuel emotional fires. That's to say, seek counsel and comfort from those who want you to receive those things from God as well, who will point you to Him, the "God of all comfort."

"There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand."
Prov.19:21

Oh, there is so much more I could write, but for now, know that I do understand what you're going through and the desire of my heart is that God will bring you the peace He has brought me. I don't understand why, I don't understand what happened, or why God allows these things to break us down. I do know, however, that my God is bigger than the circumstances we find ourselves in and that our lack of understanding is our opportunity to rely on a God that changes not.


♥ Beth

"Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and He shall sustain thee: He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.
" - Psalm 55:22

No comments:

Post a Comment