July 11, 2011

Courage

What is courage? Often when I hear the word my mind pictures a battle-bruised soldier charging off across enemy lines, bullets soaring around him, a flag in hand, and determination in his eyes. But this isn't my kind of courage. This isn't the sort of courage God has called me to have. I have come to realize that my overly-cautious, ever-questioning personality and my tendency to always leave myself some form of escape route really is nothing but down-right fear. Often, that fear hinders my service for the King, especially because it is known that "God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." In light of recent circumstances, courage has been something my heart has been crying out to God for. In doing so, God has shown me that courage isn't necessarily some form of unabashed bravery but what it really is is an active sort of trust.

The nation of Israel in Numbers 14 begins to cry out to Moses and they express a desire to go back to Egypt. Egypt of all places! Why? Because they were afraid, they were lacking in courage. Sure, God had promised them wonderful things but they allowed what they could see now to affect their faith. The future was intimidating and hard. Everything inside wanted to go back to the ways things were because things had been comfortable that way for so long. This hasn't changed so much today. The future that is looming before me, before all of us, is unknown and what can be seen is confusing and well...scary. Yet, this story is a stark reminder that God knew what He was doing for Israel and He knows what He is doing for me too.

Judah demonstrated the sort of courage I long to have in II Chronicles 20. Surrounded by enemies and with no hope in sight, the nation turned to God with a faith that said,  "O our God, wilt thou not judge them? for we have no might against this great company that cometh against us; neither know we what to do: but our eyes are upon Thee." And you know what? God delivered them! This courage says, "I'm afraid, I'm scared, and I don't understand, but GOD is in control and I will carry on with what He has called me to do because my Lord is bigger than my fear."

So as the pathway God is leading me down grows shadowed and fear begins to creep in and threatens to strangle my faith, may my eyes always be turned upward towards a Heavenly Father who knows what lies beyond the darkness. May my feet always press on through the fog and never falter in thought of going back. I pray my steps, and yours, will always be light in knowing that the God who carries us through these confusing times is the same God who will lead into "a land which floweth with milk and honey."

Beth

"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, He it is that doth go with thee; He will not fail thee, nor forsake thee." - Deuteronomy 31:6




No comments:

Post a Comment