January 19, 2012

Oh, Martha




 
Martha, I have always empathized with you. I know the panic and pride that squeezed your heart as you felt you were doing it all alone. That finger, calloused from labor, which stretched out to accuse your sister is also my own.


Oh, Martha, I relate to your self-pity. I relate to your frustration as you bustled about. I know the desperation in trying to stick to the plan. You tried to make everything perfect for the Lord but you forgot the most important thing. This Jesus was your Friend, your Saviour, your God, and you failed to take the time to learn and listen from the One who knows your servant's heart best. After all, He formed those talents within you. Christ was not condemning your labor, only your lack of finding rest in Him.

Dear Martha, your service wasn't criticized but your timing. Your holy Friend did not need your hostessing, but rather, your hearing acutely tuned to His words. He did not desire your endless work but your eyes on Him.

Martha, did you learn your lesson? Did your heart sink when the Redeemer turned His eyes on you? As He beckoned you to sit at His feet and just be with Him, did you drop your serving platter to fall on your knees? Or did you turn back to the kitchen with a lump in your throat to cry into the dishwater?

Oh, Martha, your mistake is mine as well. May I continuously remember that God does call me to be in service for Him, but only after I have spent sufficient time at His feet.

                                                                                         




"But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? Bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” - Luke 10:40-42


3 comments:

  1. I surely have my Martha moments as well. Sometimes the very gifts God gave us are misused as a hindrance towards His service. Ironic but worthy to watch for. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how she felt too. It's funny how what seems important to us is not as important at all to Jesus.
    Kendra
    ismikendra.org

    ReplyDelete